Thursday, April 17, 2008

Notes from a crazy game today

I know this site is "THE WORLD OF FANTASY BASEBALL" and that's why most of you guys have been checking us out. With that said, I want to pass a few things by everyone. I have been a baseball fan all my life, not saying I am an expert on rules and why you do this and why you do that. Well this game had several strange things happen that I just didn't agree with. First, Henry Blanco the Cubs catcher came up with two on, no outs in the fourth, and bunted it foul for the out. This was a situation that simply didn't make sense. He actually was bunting all the way on every pitch. I thought maybe he was trying to fake the reds defense and then would swing away after showing bunt on the first pitch. To make matters all the more strange Ted Lilly was on deck, yes the pitcher was on deck and not in danger of being pulled at that time. I don't think I have ever seen such a thing. Not sure if he did this on his own or missed a sign or what.


Another thing that I will say was just plain stupid was this, the WGN annoucers said that Dave Weathers actually threw at Mark DeRosa when he hit him. It was the eighth inning and the Reds were up 9-2 and you want me to believe that Weathers was throwing at DeRosa, that's so much bullshit. After losing five in a row and the way the ball flies out of Wrigley why would you put runners on base like that. I guess the way the Reds were finally beating up on somebody and the crowd leaving they needed something to keep the veiwers watching. Also if Weathers was throwing at him don't you think Piniella would have plunked a Red in the ninth with the game all but over then.


This next thing that was strange, but not in a bad way, was two brothers pitch hit in same inning. I can't say for sure but I would bet plenty on this never ever happening before in MLB history. Well maybe not a plenty, there were a lot of Alou's playing at the same time years ago. But in the eighth inning again, brothers came in to pitch hit, Corey Patterson for the Reds and Eric Patterson for the Cubs. Tell me the last time you saw this happen.


Now a little fantasy numbers from this game.....Derek Lee, who is on fire, actually struck out three times today. I would venture to say this won't happen many times if ever again this year. I wanted him so bad this year, but just waited to long with two Cub fans playing in our league. I think you could offer the bank for this guy and not get hurt. He is finally healthy again and showing why he is one of the best fantasy players out there.


Joey Votto is hitting .351 and should be the everyday first baseman for the Reds. If he is avaiable in your league you might want to go grab him. Either he plays everyday or Dusty is a moron. Scott Hatteburg is a pretty good player but quite frankly is not as good as Votto and I think if the Reds could move him they would.


Listening to Reds radio before the game, Marty and Dusty were talking about player moves in the near future. Dusty told Marty that as soon as the Reds get back in town he will meet with the GM and go over a few moves that he would like to see get done. This doesn't bode well for Josh Fogg after getting his ass handed to him in his last start. I am not sure if Homer Bailey gets the call or Matt Belisle. Belisle has had three great outings on his rehab assignment and has posted a 3-0 record with an ERA of 1.09 and Bailey is 2-1 with an ERA of 1.29....look for one of these guys to be in Cincinnati as early as this weekend. You could do a lot worse if you need pitching help.


Oh yeah......Jr. hit #596 today.....time to head to Cincinnati and get some right field seats and be the lucky one to snag #600.........GO REDS!!!!!!!!!

And last, the strangest thing that happened in this game......THE REDS WON!!!!!

No comments: