Monday, January 19, 2009

Looking Back: My 2008 preview, the Good and Dumb

OK, I've spent some time looking over my 2008 preview. I had some good advice and some really dumb advice too. Here's a few that stuck out:

Dumb: Ryan Braun (Brewers) I'm scared of him. There's a possible move to the outfield which may make him the next Casey Blake.

Good: Aaron Rowand (Giants) Moving from a hitters park in Philly to a "Giant" park won't help. He's coming off a contract year. Stay away!

Good: Robinson Cano (Yanks) After a contract extension.........who knows.

Dumb: I don't have Albert Pujols included because I'm big time worried about his elbow. I think you're taking a big chance if you take him too early. It's something to watch closely through Spring Training.

Good: Ian Kinlser (Rangers) Kinsler may go 30/30 in 2008. You've got to think with their lineup, he'll bat anywhere 1 to 5. His K:BB ratio is really good. His 3rd year in the league will be a big one.

Good: Chipper Jones (Braves) You can't leave Chipper out. He dominated last year staying mostly healthy batting .337/29/102. He doesn't have Andruw behind him this year to bat .220 and strikeout a million times. If he stays healthy, he might even improve on last year's totals.

Really Dumb: Rich Hill (Cubs) Hill was only 11-8 in his first full season. The Cubs are better adn he'll get 200 Ks in 2008. 183 Ks in 195 innings/1.19 WHIP/3.92 ERA

Good: Geovany Soto (Cubs) PCL MVP and came up with the Cubbies and tore it up at .389. Take a chance on this young guy.

Good: Joe Mauer (Twins) Injury limited him last year batting only .293 after winning the batting title in 2006. Only 7 homers is scary but he doesn't strikeout. I expect him to comeback big in 08. He's in front of McCann b/c of place in the batting order and runs.

Kind of Funny: Jose Reyes 3.73 (Mets) .280/12/57 in 2007. Jose swiped 78 bases and scored 119 runs. Reyes also had 36 doubles and 12 triples. He got caught stealing 21 times. He does need to work on that. What I like most about Jose is his SO/BB ratio at 78/77. What I don't like about Jose is his sissy outfit and man-purse when I saw him at the all-star parade in Pittsburgh two years ago.

No comments: