Friday, January 23, 2009

Chicago Cubs Sold


I thought that 900 million was a very high price for a baseball franchise, then I thought, is the Chicago Cubs worth even LESS than a baseball stadium. The new Yankee Stadium cost well over a billion, I think closer to 1.5 billion. Which of these prices are more mind boggling. I guess I am going to have to say Yankee Stadium is. Anytime you can buy a franchise's complete package for less than the price of the place you need to play the game. I am really looking forward to seeing this cathedral to the game, when the economy is better.

New Cubs owner John Ricketts must still have deep pockets to shell out this kind of cash when the economy is in such shambles. Word is prices are going to be very steep at Wrigley this summer. Is this the right time to go crazy on the fans who are struggling to make it.

The Cubs are still not out of the Jake Peavy sweepstakes either. Peavy can pitch anywhere for sure, but mistakes will bite harder at Wrigley than at spacious Petco Park. Will it effect his fantasy value, maybe not as much as a trip to either of these two aforementioned ballparks might effect your wallet.

No comments: