Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Congress, Steriods, and Clemens-My Take!


The Congressional hearings with Clemens and McNamee this morning are a train wreck. It's tough seeing one of your heroes possibly purger himself under oath. I've changed my mind about 10 different times watching the debacle this morning. Honestly, it's looking pretty bad for Clemens. At the same time, I don't see anything being accomplished by these hearings other than some Congressmen asking questions that are based on their previously established opinions on the issue and on the two men. It will drag on. There will be a criminal investigation and who knows....... One of these guys will probably be spending time in pinstripes.

My first question is...........why Congress. Why should Congress waste their time with performance enhancing drugs and the Patriots spygate controversy??? Our country is on the verge of a recession, there are American automotive companies losing billions of dollars, people are losing their homes, the oil companies are raping our citizens, Americans are out of work, and education funding continues to be cut. Yet, I'm spending a morning watching 20 Congessmen grill one of my heroes over HGH. Get real.

Where is the Player's Union and Bud Selig. Oh yeah, they turned a blind eye to what was happening instead of quietly taking care of it and saving this embarassment because, as we all know, HGH and steroids saved baseball.

My first take of steriods and HGH in baseball is that I flat didn't care. I could care less what Jose Canseco had to say. I skimmed through the Mitchell Report and wondered why so many names were missing and how some names could be there without hard evidence. At the time, I didn't care if Barry Bonds looked like Hee-Man and broke the home-run record.

Somebody reminded me a few weeks ago that baseball, the game we love, is totally based on numbers. For a while, it made me think that I had been wrong. Baseball's whole existence is based on statistics. Everbody knows how many hits the Hit King Pete Rose has. Everyone knows the hit streak, 61, 755, the importance of 300 wins, and .400. It made me re-think my stance for a while and then I came right back to my original thought............I don't care. Baseball was on the verge of disaster when NUMBERS and ESPN's Baseball Tonight brought people back to the seats and peaked interest in baseball. It looks like now that those numbers were brought about via performance enhancing drugs or in some peoples' minds---CHEATING. I keep coming back to the same conclusion. I just don't care. Put McGuire, Bonds, Clemens in the hall where they belong. While you're at it, bring Pete home too.

Whatever your opinion is, all of us will be glad when this is over. Baseball's issues now will stem from rising ticket prices where a family can't afford to go, crazy player salaries, and television revenues. Happy days are around the corner. Spring training is just a few days away.

Good luck Roger. It looks like you're going to need it.

No comments: