Tuesday, February 17, 2009

#1 Pick???

OK. So what happens if you get the number 1 pick in your draft. No pressure right? Wrong again. If you get the #1 pick, you are looking at 18 to 20 picks before you get to pick again so you better make a good choice. Luckily for you, there is only three to four possible picks.

You could go with Albert Pujols. This is as near a guarantee as you can get. He's a lifetime .334 hitter with a .425 OBP and oh yeah, the NL MVP in 2008. Even with a bum elbow, he still batted .357/37/116 last year and scored over 100 runs. He's playing to stay in St. Louis for the rest of the year. He's the safest pick of all.

You could go with Hanley Ramirez. The middle infield isn't exactly loaded with big boppers. Hanley had his worst year of the last three in 2008. Hanley isn't an RBI guy but he'll get you your share of stolen bases. In 2006 and 2007, he had 51 steals. He only had 35 steals in 2008 although he did have his biggest homer year of 33. He raised his walks by 40 over the previous season but he still struck out 122 times which is 30 over 2007. Hanley is great, but to me, he's still risky. I'll pass. I'd take him #3.

A-Rod? Well, that's a crap shoot. He may have a chip on his shoulder and go buck wild in 2009. I don't know if he's made up like that. If it was Barry Bonds, I'd say he'd would stick up his middle finger and hit 50. I don't know if A-Rod has it in him. I'm not saying he's going to be bad, I just don't see him having a career year after all of this mess. Last year's numbers: .302/35/103. I'll pass. I'd take him #????? Probably 4.

Possibly David Wright? Another thin 3B year. .302/33/124 in 2008 which were darn near identical numbers to 2007. The last four years, he's played 160, 154, 160, and 160 games. He's also going to get you over 100 runs. One problem is that I'm hearing the new Mets Stadium may be MORE of a pitchers park than Shea. WOW. Good player, not #1. Definitely a top 5. My #2.

This is really an easy choice. If you don't pick Albert with the #1 pick, you may be smokin crack. He's the only SURE thing. The #1 pick is easy, the #2 pick however...........That's going to make you sweat.

No comments: