Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fantasy Breakouts for 2009?

I guess it's a bit early to be talking about possible fantasy baseball breakout players for 2009, but most seasons are winding down towards the playoffs so what the heck.

1. Joey Votto (Reds 1b) I know, I know, I'm a Reds homer. He'll hit 5th in the Reds order next season behind Bruce and Phillips. His average is up to .281 as of today. He, like Bruce, has finally caught on and is primed for big things in 2009. He'll never be a 40 homer guy I don't think, but he should be able to consistently hit 30+ and bat around the .300 mark.

2. James Loney (Dodgers 1b) I think this guy has the ability to be a batting champion within the next few years. Not sure if the power numbers will ever be there, but he should be a gapper hitter and get you 20 homers a season.

3. Jay Bruce (Reds OF) One year of seeing Major League pitching has been great for Bruce. It always hasn't been pretty, but it looks like he's starting to catch on. He'll bat third in the order and get plenty of at--bats in '09. Should be a 30 homer guy with tons of doubles.

4. Denard Span (Twins OF) Love this freakin guy. .314 with around .400 on base so far for the Twins. He has GREAT speed and I love that his SO/BB ratio is almost even right now.

5. Alexei Rameriz (White Sox 2b) 14 homers and 55 RBI in only 100 Major League games. This guy doesn't like to walk much but add on 19 doubles and you have to like his potential. Needs to cut down on his strikeouts but I like this guy. You're always looking for middle infield help.

No comments: