Saturday, August 16, 2008

2008 Fantasy Disappoitments

2008 has seen it's share of big time fantasy baseball disappointments.

*Aaron Harang: For me, the biggest 2008 disappointment is Aaron Harang for two reasons: #1, he was my first pitcher I drafted and #2, I'm a Reds fan. I just saw a stat on Baseball Tonight saying his ERA was 9.01 since May 25. That's the marathon that he and Voloquez came in the game in relief after short rests. Not sure if that's had anything to do with his struggles but the fact is that he has flat sucked. He's now 3-13 and the Reds are 21 games out in the Central. Just awful. 3-13 5.59 ERA.

*Jimmy Rollins: Jimmy started out the season rough by being injured a bunch and has just never got it going. As of tonight, he's batting .268 with 8 homers and 42 RBI. He does have 27 doubles, 8 3b, and 30 steals but this is a guy coming off a MVP year of 30 homers 20 3 baggers, and 94 RBI.

*Johan Santana: You're probably going to say how can a guy with a 2.89 ERA be a disappointment but I say he's been a big time disappointment. Here's a guy moving to a pitchers park and moving to the National League where you get a chance to pitch around the 8 hole to strikeout the pitcher. Santana has 141 Ks in 168 innings. That's a huge drop off for him. He's only 10-7 on a contending team. In his last three seasons, he'd had more strikeouts than innings pitched.

*Erik Bedard: Injuries. He was injured from the biggining. Just never got anything going plus his team is horrible.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reds definitely rushed Harang back. He made just one minor-league rehab start and definitely needed more than that.

J-mizzle said...

I disagree with the Santana thing - he's been nearly as dominant has he was in years past, but his team isn't providing run support - like 75% of his starts are "quality", and he only has 10 wins. THAT'S the real tragedy.

You can argue that the intradivision hitting is better in the NL East than is in the AL Central, as well. That might explain less strikeouts and more walks (same with pitching around the no. 8 hitter to get to the opposing pitcher). I mean, the Phillies and Marlins are just as good, if not better than the ChiSox/Tigers, and the bottom two teams are a wash (CLE/KC and ATL/WAS).

GMo said...

Good points. I'm still shocked at his strikeout totals regardless. He's facing teams like my Reds, the Nats, and the Braves who are strikeout machines.

GMo said...

Johan Santana just told me to shut my mouth today didn't he. Disappointment that.

Anonymous said...

Harang looked pretty good in his last start. As a Reds fan myself I do hope this continues.